Actuality to receive the newsletter or on Facebook!
Now: 27℃
Morrow: 26℃

Natural attractions

8. Ethnographic village museum house

After the end of the initial stages of the Turkish occupation, that claimed the lives of many of the local population and at the beginning of the XVIII century, the area around Kenese began to be more densely populated. One by one, houses were built on the small properties of just 540m2 belonging to the serfs. The cadastral maps of 1858 clearly demonstrate the existence of today’s village museum house on Kossuth Lajos Street No. 6. It was located on the street front and at the time owned by Ferenc Sipos.


It bears all the characteristics of the ethnic architectural style of the time, being partitioned the following way: first room – kitchen with an atrium and a vent pipe in the roof, back room, pantry, storage room, cart shed and stables. The front porch with its round arches stretches all the way back to the second room and has a balustrade build from bricks so that it resembles a wall. 1926 saw the addition of a new summer kitchen placed so that it faces the house.

The outer walls are made from clay, straw mortar and mud, covered at the base with quarried stones. The roof above the kitchen and the atrium is arched while the rest of the ceilings are made from wood and covered with reed.

No alterations have been made in the 1960s when at the initiative of Vér Lászlóné and József Kecskés old tools and manuscripts, long forgotten in the attics and basements of the village houses, have been collected for preservation so that they could be passed on to future generations.

Ultimately, the National Monument Association purchased the house from Kósa Jánosné Sipos Irma in 1983 and has been completely restored to its original image and design by Péter Wirth in 1990.

The house officially functions as a village museum since June 16 1991 and the objects and documents are exhibited in the first room of the building.

Another exhibit encompasses the documents related to “The Committee of 48”s activity as well as a number of sculptures and paintings representing Lajos Kossuth.

In addition to that, the personal effects of the presbyter and prominent member of the Kisfaludy Társaság, Gusztáv Jánosi (1841-1911), collected during his years spent in Kenese also received a place of exhibition within the museum. Other exhibits include the works and photographs of local writer, János Váth (1887-1962), renowned poet Lajos Soós (1856-1902) and Károly Csizmadia (1878-1934).

The last exhibit displays a list of the weaver guild members, the relics of early industrialization and old photographs depicting the surrounding coasts and its bathers.

The old furnishings, agricultural tools and specific tools used in the vineyards as well as fishing, are displayed in the storage room that has direct access to the front yard.

We are especially proud of the fact that our monument has been recognized with the award “Village House of the Year” in 2011.

Back

Balaton Keleti Kapuja
Tourism Association
hellobalaton.eu
For more information
waiting for your call
the Tourist
Information Office!
Phone: Tourinform Balatonkenese
2019 All rights reserved.
welovepixel