Actuality to receive the newsletter or on Facebook!
Now: 28℃
Morrow: 30℃

Natural attractions

5. The Catholic church of Kenese

The founding stone was laid on May 11th 1815 and the building process was finalized on August 15th 1819. A dedication service was performed on the feast of the Birth of the Blessed Virgin Mary on September 8th. The biggest of the three bells mounted high in the church tower, bears the portrait of Saint Stephen and Pope Urban, weighing in at more than a ton and having been cast in the foundries of the city Veszprém. An older bell has been removed during the second World War and melted into iron for military purposes.


The altar painting depicting the offering of the crown, a brilliant artwork of church artist Ferenc Szoldatits, was a donation from Bishop István Pribék, who was born in Kenese. The three murals of the ceiling were commissioned from the renowned painter, Endre Graits in 1907 by Bishop Gusztáv Jánosi.

Its organ was built at Győr in 1824.

During the long course of the Second World War, the church was seriously damaged by bombings but the most urgent repairs were carried out within months. A complete restoration of both the structure and the inside artwork was finalized in the 1960’s under the guidance of parish priest Imre Mikó.

Unfortunately, the church would not remain intact for long since the massive earthquake of 1985 would seriously compromise its structure. Its current colorful appearance is a result of the renovation works that ensued. Following the quake, more than 30 buckets of debris have been collected inside the recently restored church.

The recorded history of the Kenese parish dates back to 1772 and the parish registers are kept since 1773.

A stone crucifix to commemorate the 1938 Eucharistic congress, bearing the portrait of the beloved parish priest Imre Mikó decorates the area surrounding the church.

Parts of the monastic quarters adjacent to the building used to house a school but nowadays it serves as a home to the Sisters of Saint Francis of Assisi Order of Nuns. Their duties include monastic services and aiding the community in various ways.

On the opposite side of the church, in the middle of the old market square, one can admire another ancient relic, the Fancy Fountain.

The one-time private dwelling of Gusztáv Jánosi built in 1884 is also easily discernible on the opposite side of the street.

The small fenced area in front of the church called Heroes Garden houses the monument erected in memory of those fallen during the First World War.

Back

Balaton Keleti Kapuja
Tourism Association
hellobalaton.eu
For more information
waiting for your call
the Tourist
Information Office!
Phone: Tourinform Balatonkenese
2017 All rights reserved.
welovepixel